Sunday, February 6, 2011

NO SHOW

First I'll just get this out of the way. I received the letter on Friday informing me that I will not be having a solo show at the anchorage museum. I was disappointed but not really surprised. Sometimes I think that beadwork is just not trendy or avaunt garde enough. But I want to keep some momentum going so I'm applying for a fellowship grant. I'll keep you posted on how that's going. I have to say that writing this blog has been useful in that I'm just bla blaing along, and when you have to write artist statements and such, it's good to be in practice. So I finished the Roses bag, I think the customer will be happy. She is from Chile and loves bright colors, flowers and butterflies so I think it fits the bill. I'll put it in the mail tomorrow.

6 comments:

  1. Its a glorious piece Kate. Sorry you were not chosen for the show. I think you are right. I think needlework of any kind is overlooked as artform, unless it garments. Its so sad, too. I fear that needlework will become a lost art.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry to hear you won't have the solo show. Your work is just stunning to me. Such detail and beauty. I love to draw, and this would be a project just for ink and pencils, let alone beads!! I am just amazed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What the ??? are they thinking!? Sorry you are disappointed - but don't dwell on it. You are an amazing artist and this rose bag certainly is proof of that. I can't imagine how glorious it must be in person. Don't you wish you could see your customer's reaction when she sees it for the first time?! Talk about priceless...

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's the museum's loss for sure! The roses bag is awesome!!! Just beautiful. I love the definition and texture you bead into your work. Beautiful piece!

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I was working on it I thought the blue butterflies went really well with the red so I'm doing a second piece using that idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Did you know that that you can generate dollars by locking selected sections of your blog or website?
    Simply open an account with AdWorkMedia and embed their Content Locking tool.

    ReplyDelete